At Swim Dynamics, our courses aim to improve the quality of swim instructors in South Africa and so raise the standards of the industry as a whole.
The Baby Course teaches baby swimming instructors the keys to successfully teach babies and toddlers between 6 months and 3 years of age water awareness and water safety.
The Baby Course is for new teachers who want to learn how to teach babies. The course is also designed for existing baby instructors who want to improve their skills with current techniques. It gives you innovative, fresh ideas and skills to ensure that the way in which you teach is safe while still being creative, holistic and effective. We focus on every aspect of the child, such as mental, physical and emotional well-being, and how these factors work together.
The Baby Course objective is for teachers to be able to teach their class in a calm, relaxed and structured environment using play, song, word association, repetition and encouragement at all times. Beyond equipping you with the teaching techniques for baby/toddler, we give you an Occupational Therapist’s input.
We will guide you through the process of setting up or improving your business. Showing you how passion for babies/toddlers and good business sense can be combined to run a highly successful, rewarding Swim School.
On attendance of the course you will be able to watch qualified instructors doing classes, putting to use the information taught on the course. Candidates will also have an opportunity to practice each step in the water with the course instructors.
We have combined our wealth of experience to assist us in putting together a course that is forward-thinking and different from any other baby swimming course currently available in South Africa. Theoretical and practical examinations are held at the end of the course, with a certificate of achievement being awarded on completion.
Baby Course Content
Philosophy of teaching babies to swim
- Advantage of baby swimming
- Essentials for teaching baby to swim
- Information for parents
- Teaching through love and praise
- Teaching skills
- Infectious/non-infectious diseases
- Hypernatremia, aquaphobia
- Challenges when teaching
- Basic skills
- The ideal lesson
- Bath time routine
- Baby massage
- Activity analysis/lesson plan
- How to run a successful swim school with good business sense
In order to attend the Baby Course:
You need to be over 18 years of age.
- You must be able to swim 15 meters in deep water.
- You must have a valid CPR certificate before exams can be done.
If you reside outside SA and wish to attend our courses you may do the practical exam via video and the theory exam is done in the form of an open book exam.
- For candidates wanting to do the full course and not just a workshop, theoretical and practical exams will be held within 6 months after the course completion. The candidates have 6 months to complete their logging and return to do the exams.
- A certificate of attendance is awarded on the last day of the course for candidates attending as a workshop only.